Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Feminism and faith

In the context of Western religion, these are not two terms that one often sees together. In fact, much of my life, I have heard one side criticizing the other. But as you'll see in some of my previous posts, I pronounce this perceived paradox proudly. (How's that for alliteration??)

I'm also an eternal optimist, which may explain why I believe that more and more folks on both sides of these labels are reaching across to the other side. Take, for instance, publications like Harvard's Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion, which covers this emerging dialogue between feminist theory and theology. (And if you check out this magnificent publication, be sure to check out the Fall 2008 issue to read one of my poems, which is published there!)

Or, in the realm of popular culture, Sue Monk Kidd's memoir (before her Secret Life of Bees fame), The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, where she explores the dance between her Christian self and her feminist self.

Of course we're all aware (and perhaps a little tired of) the Da Vinci Code's rise to fame, but I think the importance of its popularity lies in the fact that it reflects an ongoing cultural desire for the divine feminine.

I speak from my own Protestant perspective when I say that we've lost that particular image of God. Despite biblical evidence to the contrary (God portrayed as a hen gathering her eggs, a midwife birthing a child, etc.), we've often chosen to see God exclusively as father. This is detrimental to women in so many ways. First, we learn that God is the best, and if God is male, then male is the best. (Mary Daly famously wrote in the seventies that "If God is male, then the male is God.") Second, we tend to identify God as being the same kind of father as our earthly father, which is not always a positive image for women. Sometimes our fathers abandon us, abuse us, or tell us we're never good enough. Finally, it is extremely limiting to see God as embodying only one half of the human race.











But again, the eternal optimist in me begs to speak. One sign of improvement in the feminism/faith dichotomy is a program at which I have the pleasure of teaching every other May. The Oregon Extension Women's Studies May Term allows college students the opportunity to explore the intersection of faith and feminism through academic discourse, journaling, and creative projects. It's the place where I learned to embrace this seeming paradox within myself many years ago as a college student.

This year, we have so many applicants to the program that we may need to begin a waiting list. It seems undeniable that the dialogue about feminism and faith lives on.

I don't usually use this blog to elicit donations, but many of our applicants are in need of financial aid in this economic climate. If you believe in this important conversation, please consider donating to our scholarship fund by clicking on the "Donate Now" button at www.oemayterm.org It's tax-deductible, and your contribution may allow a student the freedom to call herself "feminist" and "faithful" for the first time without fearing the wrath of God.

3 comments:

Rabbi Schulz said...

I understand you're frustration though ontological equality of the sexes can exist without equality of societal roles.


Go to

www.fightfeminism.blogspot.com

for more information about incorporating equality for women, Biblical principles, and anti-feminist ideology by means of rational discourse.

Rebecca Lauren said...

Tom, I thank you for your perspective. However, I think you and I differ on a very core point: the definition of gender. Gender is not something we are born with. It is a culturally constructed identity.

In your blog, you mention there being a man-personality and a woman-personality. In my own experience, and the experiences of many friends, scholars, and loved ones, this is just not the case.

God has given us an array of personality traits. Confidence and leadership are not solely accessible to the male gender, just as sensitivity and cooperation are not exclusive to the female gender. I am honoring God when I choose to develop those personality traits that are conducive to my life's work, not those prescribed by antiquated gender roles. By prescribing different societal roles for men and women, you take away half of each of our God-given potential.

Finally, I am disturbed by the way that your blog suggests that single folks are incomplete and that the LGBT community simply "wouldn't know" what real companionship is all about. This suggests to me that you don't understand feminism at all. Feminism, contrary to popular belief, is not a dirty word. It suggests that we all respect one another's humanity, fight for equal rights for all, and work to deconstruct the power structures that have subdued women in the past.

Jesus loved everybody. EVERYBODY. Without condition. That's some decent feminism for you.

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I'm glad you're my friend. Truly. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but I admire the way you can meet a very different viewpoint than your own head on and with kindness. I consider it to be a talent.

In this case, I very much agree with you. That gender is socially constructed is proven in that there are so many different definitions of femininity and masculinity historically and among different cultures. Take something as simple as clothing. An eighteenth-century masculine man was wearing lace and a lot of it. Now we think of lace as ultra feminine. That is a fun, somewhat silly example, but there are many, many others. Crying has not, for example, always been as antithetical to "manliness" as it is currently considered to be.

A lot of times people interpret such fluctuations in what we think of as feminine or masculine as evolving ideas -- as ways that we better understand things as time goes on. That just isn't the case, though, because there are also lots of differences in definitions of femininity and masculinity based on cultural differences.

As for the possibility of "equality of the sexes... without equality of societal roles," I just don't see it. If one sex is relegated to a subservient and undervalued role then how can there ever be any kind of equality? There's no justice in that.

There are lots of people who do an excellent job of talking about this stuff. Since scholarship by women is often dismissed as reactionary, I'll offer a few reading suggestions by men:

American Manhood: Transformations In Masculinity From The Revolution To The Modern Era - E. Anthony Rotundo

Men Speak Out: Views on Gender, Sex, and Power - Jackson Katz